Firefighters say they've already seen an example of why the new ban is a good idea. They tell us fireworks sparked a fire at a home in Lexington.
"I was sitting over in the chair there, on the corner of my porch," starts Ron Pennington, "and I realized that there were some folks across the street that was getting ready to shoot some fireworks. Just about the time they got it lit it fell over and it came straight across the street practically on the ground and when it hit the curb it came right up into the shrubs and immediately caught the shrubs on fire which immediately caught the house on fire."
Pennington says they caught his neighbor, Hubert Wiseman's, house on fire.
"I grabbed my water hose and told my wife to call 911. And then the fire was spreading toward the roof and I was trying to keep it off the roof and we eventually did that."
The majority of the damage is to the garage.
"Caused me a lot of discomfort. I'm 90 years old and I have to leave my house at night because of the fumes inside," explains Hubert Wiseman.
He's now hoping the new city ban on fireworks fizzles out any potential problems.