LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Several people were injured and more than two dozen have been displaced after a fire broke out at an apartment complex on Devonport Drive early Wednesday.
The call for the fire went out to the Lexington Fire Department around 3:30 a.m.
The fire started on a first floor apartment in a bedroom according to the Lexington Fire Department. "The person living there told us she left a candle lit in her bedroom when she went into the living room," explains Lexington Fire Department Major John Gosper, "she told us she went into the living room for few minutes and then realized her bed was on fire."
First responders told WKYT they had to rescue seven people, including children, from the third floor. "Two were treated on the scene for minor burns and smoke inhalation, the situation could have been a lot worse, especially since we did not find a working smoke detector in any of the twelve units that were affected."
Lexington Fire officials say they found people sleeping in rooms full of smoke. "Three o'clock in the morning in an apartment building is always a touchy situation, but all things said it could have been much worse and we only had minor injuries," said Gosper.
The Red Cross is helping those displaced by the fire.