WKYT - Lexington - Headlines

Family saves baby, loses everything else to fire

More Video...

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - A family was rattled out of bed Thursday morning after an explosion rocked their home, causing a fire.

Victoria White, the mother of a two-month-old, says she grabbed her son Gabriel and ran.

"It was like a bomb going off, it shook our house, it was a loud boom, enough for all of us to wake up," Victoria White said.

They woke to a house on fire.

White says she scooped up Gabriel and got out of the house. Then they watched as the fire tore through nearly everything they had.

"We've still got his diaper bag and him, his car seat and his blanket," said White.

She says all the Christmas gifts they opened yesterday and everything else they owned is badly burned.

Fire officials say hot embers left in a fireplace overnight sparked the fire.

Investigators say the fire jumped about 10 feet from one home to the next.

The woman who lived in the first house says she's shaken but she wasn't hurt.

"This is the most tragic time of year for residential fires because this is the time for giving and they lose Christmas presents and a lot of the cherished memories," Lexington Fire Department Battalion Chief Jeff Nantz said.

Even though their belongings are gone, White says they still have what matters during every season, each other.

The family says they just moved in two months ago and they didn't have renter's insurance, so everything destroyed is gone for good.

If you'd like to help, there is a donation fund for the family at Whitaker Bank in Lexington. They ask that you make donations out to the Smith Family Fire Fund.

Disqus has not been setup for this website.
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 237305371 - wkyt.com/a?a=237305371
Gray Television, Inc.