WKYT - Lexington - Headlines

Smoke seeping from home alerts neighbors to fire inside

Fire trucks lined the road on Crystal Falls, in Lexington, and they all came running after Heather Worthington and her boyfriend first suspected something was on fire.

"Me and my boyfriend were in the backyard and we started smelling something, we were looking down (the block) and we thought maybe it's just somebody cooking out. Then I was like, it doesn't really smell like it," recalled Worthington.

Just after six, Thursday evening, the pair walked down three doors before she says she saw the smoke rolling out of every gap in the house.

"There was smoke rolling out from the lights, from the windows, the doors, the top of the roof and it was coming out from every end of that house. It was thick!" said Worthington.

Without any hesitation, this nurse sprang into action for a victim she didn't even know.

"We banged on the door, we banged on the windows. The back windows were really hot, so we couldn't really touch them. We banged on the front door, and tried to listen," described Worthington, adding when there was no answer, "It was call 9-1-1! It was hurry up let's get this done. It was fast."

No one was home, but Worthington said that didn't keep her from doing everything she could.

"(We) Tried to help, try to do what you can," said Worthington of her quick reaction.

Firefighters say once they made it inside the home, they found a lot of damage in the kitchen area. They say the fire seemed to have spread to the adjoining living room space, as well.

When the victim arrived, she did not want to say anything on camera, but did express how grateful she was that other people immediately rushed to her home to try and help.

"There was some smoke damage upstairs, a lot of structural damage in the kitchen and the dining room area," described Major Joe Best of the Lexington Fire Department.

Still, the firefighters say things could've been a lot worse inside, if not for the alert neighbors, like Worthington, who immediately called in the fire.

At this time, investigators are still unsure what sparked the fire. No one was injured.


Disqus has not been setup for this website.
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 149172825