WKYT - Lexington - Headlines

One dead, one injured in duplex fire

By: Angela Beavin Email
By: Angela Beavin Email

A woman has died following an early Thursday morning fire in Lexington.

Another person went to the hospital following the fire in a duplex on Radcliffe Road, off Russell Cave Road, in Lexington.

From the start, neighbors had an inkling about the fire.

"It seems like it was everywhere before anybody could get here. All that smoke; I can't imagine anybody surviving," says Pam Grey.

And one woman did not.

"I had relatives come to my house this morning and tell me about the situation," says Achilles Harris, whose older sister, 55-year-old Robin Harris, died in the fire.

He says she lived in the unit alone, and he believes she was in the bath tub when the home caught on fire.

"It's shocking, very shocking. It's going to be a hard thing to get through, but I'm going to make it through it," Achilles Harris says.

Firefighters say the fire started from food left on the stove in the kitchen. Spreading quickly, Harris didn't have time to get out. Crews went in and pulled her from her burning home. She went to hospital in critical condition, but later died. Her family is now coping with the news.

"Just trying to get in touch with everybody to see what we can do. You know, it's a hard time for everybody right now," Achilles Harris says.

Firefighters say the woman living in the other unit of the duplex went to the hospital suffering smoke inhalation.

We're also told a firefighter went to the hospital and was treated for exertion related complications. He's since been released.

Disqus has not been setup for this website.
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137662083 - wkyt.com/a?a=137662083
Gray Television, Inc.