WKYT - Lexington - Headlines

Family upset over headstone

By: Brittany Pelletz Email
By: Brittany Pelletz Email

It's been nearly three years since James Diehl buried his wife in the Lexington Cemetery. His family has waited for a headstone in her honor and now they say they've waited long enough.

"I wouldn't want to check my blood pressure because there have been plenty of times where it was difficult to restrain myself," says James Diehl.

Stephanie Diehl died in 2008 after a long battle with cancer.
It was shortly after her death that her husband, James Diehl says he was contacted by Don Curtis, owner of Granite Resource in Nicholasville. He says Curtis had an offer that sounded better than the rest.

"I was getting quotes from anywhere to $12,000 to $17,000 which was just getting out of line. This gentleman called me up and said 'Where are you on this whole process?'" adds Diehl.

Diehl says he negotiated with Curtis for more than a year and finally paid a little more than $5,000 last year for his wife's headstone. He says he expected to see it within the 90 to 120 days he says he was guaranteed.

Now, a little more than a year later, Diehl says he has yet to see the stone.

Saturday he says he got a cashier's check from Curtis refunding him the full amount, a check he's yet to cash. Diehl says it's not just about the money. He says visiting his wife's unmarked grave for the past three years has been difficult for him and their two children, Cameron and John Connor.

"I don't know that they would look at a stone and it would be everything, but I certainly think having that stone there would help them recognize and have them feel a bit of comfort and seeing their mothers name there. Right now we certainly can't do that and it's disheartening," says James.

The Better Business Bureau says James Diehl is not the only one that didn't get what he paid for from Don Curtis and Granite Resource.
The BBB revoked the accreditation of the Nicholasville company for failing to provide services promised to at least six other people.

We talked to Curtis today, he says he's reimbursed Diehl and a few others and says the delays were not his fault, citing issues getting materials.

James Diehl has hired an attorney to help him in this case.

In May, 27 NEWSFIRST talked to a woman who said she didn't receive a headstone after paying Curtis.

After that story aired, the woman told us she received a refund.

Disqus has not been setup for this website.
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 132493013 - wkyt.com/a?a=132493013
Gray Television, Inc.