Doing The Most Good Week will include a three-day kettle campaign, July 11-13.
A local donor has decided to Do The Most Good by matching kettle contributions up to $10,000. Individuals and groups wanting to volunteer at a Kettle, should contact Townsend Miller now at (859) 252-7706 (Lexington) or Major Randy Davis at (502) 863-1551 (Georgetown). Kettle contributions will support The Salvation Army’s emergency shelter for women and children, emergency assistance programs, the early learning center, summer day camp and after-school youth education programs.
The Salvation Army of Central Kentucky is gearing up for its first Doing The Most Good Week to be held July 7-13, 2013, to coincide with the founding of The Salvation Army in July 1865. Salvation Army founder William Booth was determined to do the most good for God and suffering humanity. Today, The Salvation Army promises to Do The Most Good with the public’s contributions of time, money and resources for the poor, homeless and hungry in our community.
The Salvation Army is encouraging everyone to commit to random acts of goodness for our community and hopes to hear from all the do-gooders on its Facebook page (Salvation Army Lexington) where individuals can share their suggestions for Doing The Most Good.
It takes just a little effort to do a lot of good and can be as simple as holding a door for someone, giving the gift of your smile, ringing the bell at a kettle or as involved as hosting a donation drive or LemonAiD stand. Young or old, rich or poor, everyone can help others and make our community a better place.
Here are some ideas for Doing The Most Good:
• Say a prayer for The Salvation Army.
• Ring the bell at a Kettle (July 11, 12, or 13) – call 859.252.7706 in Lexington and 502.863.1551 in Georgetown. Donations will be matched up to $10,000!
• Give the gift of your smile to everyone you meet.
• Have a LemonAiD stand and/or be a LemonAiD customer.
• Get informed so you can help meet needs all year long – Like us on Facebook (Salvation Army Lexington)
• Pay a compliment to someone at least once a day.
• Attend our volunteer information session on July 10th to see if you may want to donate your time and talents – for details call 859.252.7706 ext. 125.
• Call/visit a sick relative, friend or neighbor.
• Sponsor a child at the shelter for a day(s); $27.50 donation will cover food, shelter, and educational child care for a day/night.
• Bring flowers/baked goods to work and share them.
• Apply to volunteer in the Salvation Army’s food pantry and/or clothing center.
• Offer a couple of hours of baby-sitting service to friends and family.
• Have a Salvation Army Doing the Most Good Day at work or church encouraging donations of nonperishable foods such as peanut butter, canned meats, cereals, and pasta.
• Do the most good with your old clothes – donate them.
• Donate $90 for a disadvantaged youth to enjoy a week of day camp.
• Tell your coworkers that you think they’re doing a good job.
• Donate diapers (all sizes) and twin-size sheets to the Salvation Army shelter.
• Relinquish a parking spot to someone at the mall.
• While at the drive-thru, pay for the order of the person behind you.
• Cut someone’s grass or weed or plant flowers in someone’s garden.
• Drop off a bag of groceries on someone’s doorstep.
• Give your unused brass instruments to the Salvation Army’s Music School.
• Remember to say thank you.
• Cook your spouse’s/children’s favorite meal.
• Using social media, tell others about “Doing The Most Good Week.” A flyer can be downloaded from our website.
More ideas and details can be found at www.salvationarmylex.org.