An 18-year-old girl is being called a hero. She woke up to discover her family's home on fire, and got everyone inside to safety.
This all happened just before 6:00 Thursday morning at a Jessamine County mobile home near the Fayette County line.
"Your whole body just starts shaking, and your mind, it just goes crazy really," says 18-year-old Samantha Johnson.
She helped her mother, two sisters and 3-year-old daughter to safety when their home caught on fire early Thursday morning.
"We kept the fire out of the bedrooms--the back part of the house. but it's going to be a total loss--heavy damage, heavy fire damage to the center," says Jessamine County Fire Chief Michael Rupard.
Firefighters say the flames broke out when a wood burning stove in a central room got too hot.
"We don't have central heat, so we have to use that," Johnson says, "My dad made it right before he went to work."
That was just before 5:00. Now that the family is going through what's left behind, Johnson says all she can think about is her little girl--and she's thankful the situation was not worse.
"The fire was right beside her room, so that's what kills me the most. What if something happened to my baby? I would not be able to live with out her."
Firefighters say the Red Cross will work with the family to find a new home.
"It's never easy, you know. These people have a long road ahead of them now," Rupard says.
Relatives of the family live right next door. They helped out this morning giving the family blankets and shoes to keep warm. The family plans to stay with them until they can make other arrangements.
This is the second fire to happen in the Tates Creek Estates neighborhood in two weeks. Firefighters say both were caused by wood stoves used for heat.
|Report problems like potholes, broken street lights, or vandalism in Nicholasville.|