A mother woke up to the sound of a smoke detector Thursday morning, and had to rush to save her child.
A fire broke out at their home on Elm Fork Road in the Hickman Creek community of Jessamine County.
Jenny Christian was able to call for help. She said she and her nine-year-old daughter were trapped in the burning home.
"Our dispatchers were on the line talking to them inside the home," says Jessamine County Fire Chief Michael Rupard.
That's when Christian jumped into action, saving her daughter, then herself.
"The mother actually got the kid out of the house, and she had to jump from the window of the house to get out herself," Rupard says.
She jumped several feet from a window to the ground.
When firefighters got there, they contained the flames to one room of the home, where they say the fire started.
"It was in a living room. Something started in the couch area," Rupard says.
Investigators still don't know what sparked the fire.
Christian and her daughter were taken to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. They were released mid-morning Thursday, and are now staying with family members.
|Report problems like potholes, broken street lights, or vandalism in Nicholasville.|