BOURBON COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) - They've been homeless since Thanksgiving. A Bourbon County couple lost their home to a fire Thursday. Sunday, they visited the site of their old house, looking for any items that might have survived the flames.
"My big dog, he run back in the trailer when all that went on. I had to bury him yesterday. You get too attached to them," mourned homeowner Kelly Beach, who spent Sunday sorting through rubble where his home once stood.
Thanksgiving Day, Beach says he was just trying to warm the house up, and threw an old suitcase into the fireplace. That, firefighters say, caused the flames to grow out of control, and spread to the rest of the house. Beach hasn't been able to save much.
"Just tools I had in a tool box, that's basically about all we found. We found one picture."
Friends are already offering help, but Beach and his wife are now looking for a pet-friendly place to rent.
"A lot of people have given us clothes and furniture for when we do find a place. We can get set up again."