North Middletown, KY (WKYT) - A Bourbon County couple is without a home this Thanksgiving after a chimney fire destroyed their house.
It happened around 8:00 Thursday morning at a home on Levy Road in North Middletown.
Kelly Beach was inside of the home, while his wife was out getting supplies for Thanksgiving dinner. Beach says he used an old suitcase to try and start his fireplace. Within seconds, he says the fire got out of control.
"I heard a popping noise," says Kelly Beach, who was inside of the home when the fire started. "I went outside and there was smoke everywhere. So it took off quick."
By the time crews got there, fire officials say the right side of the home was filled with smoke and flames. They were able to get control of the fire within minutes, but the home is destroyed.
"We're only a mile out of North Middletown and by the time we got here at least half of the house was pretty well involved," says Chief Jeff McFarland, North Middletown Fire Department.
As for where the couple will stay, they're not sure. But this certainly wasn't the way they were planning to spend Thanksgiving.
"I just got a turkey at work," says Beach. "It got cooked, but I'm not going to get to eat it."
The Red Cross has been called in to help the couple find a place to stay.
One of the couple's dogs was found dead inside of the home. The other, officials believe, may have ran away.