WKYT - Paris - Headlines

Dryer sparked fire that destroyed home

By: Angela Beavin Email
By: Angela Beavin Email

The fire broke out just before 1:00 Tuesday morning on Fithian Street in Paris. The homeowner had just left for work when the fire started and an alert neighbor called 911.

Firefighters determined a dryer that was running caused the fire. It started in a back room and quickly spread through the home.

Around 1:00, Nick Brady was walking out to his car, and at first glance, didn't realize what he was seeing.

"I walked out and I figured it was the fog and mist from the rain," Brady says.

But soon, he could smell and see that his neighbor's home was burning.

"I happened to look across the street and I saw smoke. I could see the glow from the neighbors house. I went across the street there and saw the back of the house on fire," Brady says.

As flames shot from the house, he called 911, and knocked on the door to try and get anyone inside out.

"It's a pretty big house, and I figured there'd be quite a few people inside, so I just was trying to wake some body up--no body was outside."

Luckily, no one was inside either. Paris firefighters say the homeowner left his house just minutes before the fire started.

In the old home, flames ignited by a dryer running in a back room spread quickly, and firefighters say the blaze left the home a total loss.

The fire also melted the siding on a neighboring home, but that damage was minimal.

The homeowner has a dog, and firefighters were able to rescue him from the burning house.

Disqus has not been setup for this website.
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130185343 - wkyt.com/a?a=130185343
Gray Television, Inc.