His home was destroyed by fire, but a man is thankful to be alive after being rescued from the flames.
The fire broke out around 4:00 this morning at a home on Peacock Road, just north of Paris in Bourbon County.
When firefighters got there, the flames were shooting from the home, but the homeowner, who is disabled, was safe after his neighbors came to his aid.
Robert Brewer says it was no heroic act.
"Well it's nothing, you know, that's what neighbors are for--to watch out for each other," he says.
But family members of 67-year-old Paris Wright, who lived in the home, say the neighbors' actions helped save their loved one's life.
"Bobby's our hero today," says Marilyn Roseberry, the victim's niece.
Wright's family says he woke up when he heard popping noises. He went into the kitchen, sat down, and fell back asleep.
He recently broke a hip, is crippled by arthritis, and uses a walker to get around. Family members say thankfully he was able to make it to the back of the now destroyed home.
"Thank the Lord he had made it that far, because he was able to get on out to the porch when the fire alarm woke him up," Roseberry says.
Trying desperately to get away from the fire outside, the next door neighbor stepped in, helping Wright get to safety.
"I just stayed with him and got a blanket for him and put it around him and got a chair," Brewer says.
As small spots of flames still burn, and what's left of the home smolders in the still of the afternoon, Wright's family says they're grateful he escaped injury, or possibly worse.
"We're thankful that he was okay and thankful to the good neighbor that helped to get him out," Roseberry says.
Firefighters say the flames likely broke out in a front living room of the home.
|Report problems like potholes, broken street lights, or vandalism in Paris.|