PIKEVILLE, Ky. (WYMT) - There are fourteen emergency warming shelters opening throughout Pike County.
City of Pikeville officials say their location at the fire training center at station one is ready and available,
With temperatures reaching a dangerous level they encourage folks to take advantage of the shelter.
Public Safety Director Paul Maynard says, "People out in this weather, they are not going to last long it is just to that point. Wind chill predicted between negative ten to negative thirty, at that point frost bite and hypothermia come on quickly. So we want to make sure these people can come stay and stay safe."
With the help of the Red Cross, Pike County officials will open 13 other shelters beginning Tuesday morning at eight o'clock.
The following locations have been established:
- Belfry Senior Citizens Center
- Big Creek Fire Department
- Blackberry Senior Citizens Center
- Elkhorn City Senior Citizens Center
- Elkhorn Creek Community Center (Upper Pigeon)
- Greasy Creek Community Center
- Gulnare Fire Department
- Johns Creek Fire Department
- Kimper Fire Department
- Kimper Senior Citizens Center
- Marrowbone Fire Department
- Phelps Senior Citizens Center
- Shelby Valley Senior Citizens Center
- Pikeville Fire Department Training Center (Chloe Rd.) **Pikeville City officials say this location is now open and ready. They also can provide shelter through the night if needed. Contact Pikeville 911 center at (606) 437-5111**
“Hopefully, few people will have to use these centers—but if they do, we are ready,” said Judge/Executive Wayne T. Rutherford.
“In light of these frigid temperatures that we are not used to in our part of the country, the best thing to do is stay inside if at all possible. In emergency situations these centers are available, and we hope people will not think twice about utilizing them if necessary,” said Pike Co. Emergency Management Director Doug Tackett.
In case of emergencies or for more information, Pike Co. Emergency Management can be reached at 606-437-4126 or by emailing email@example.com