KIMPER, Ky. (WYMT)-
Two firefighters from the Kimper Volunteer Fire Department were transported to Pikeville Medical Center Friday night.
Fire officials say they responded to what they call a routine house fire. The fire was knocked out when officials say they began doing a sweep of the home and that is when firefighters Neil Ray and Kevin Hunt became sick.
Chief Troy Hunt says, “When they kicked the door in, they sprayed it cause it was hot, to let it ventilate and cool real good. I don't know what it was but whatever was in there interacted with the water and I've never smelled anything like it.”
He say chest x-rays and blood work were done and all tests came back normal. Ray and Hunt were both treated for heat exhaustion and released.