A fire left a Madison County couple with very little. Windows were broken out of their Concord Road home, smoke charred the outside, and behind their house a portion of the wall collapsed.
Although the home is in ruins, the victims escaped with their lives.
"I thought they were going burn up," admitted Julie Jones, the daughter-in-law of two house fire victims, "I was trying to get to them. It was pure panic."
Jones said she spotted the flames coming from inside the home, and immediately feared the worst for her in-laws.
"I was thinking, 'I hope nothing bad has happened,'" recalled Jones, "and as I came around the corner, a little bit, I saw the flames coming out of her house. I ran up here as fast as I could, because I was afraid they weren't out [of the house]."
The elderly couple escaped, largely in part to Jones' mother-in-law helping her husband who is said to have been in his 70s and on oxygen.
"I was just glad that they were both out and that she was able to do that, to get him out, because he was in shock and was just sitting there," described Jones.
While the couple made it out safely, their little dog, "cooper," did not.
"He was her best, little friend," said Jones fight back tears, "I'm going to bury him [Cooper the dog] at my place."
As the emotions continued to catch up to Jones, she realized just how dangerous this house fire was and how much more could've been lost in the Sunday afternoon flames.
Jones' mother-in-law was taken to Pattie A. Clay Hospital, while her husband was taken to U.K. for treatment.
Fire officials believe this fire likely started because the man was smoking near an oxygen tank.
|Report problems like potholes, broken street lights, or vandalism in Richmond.|