WKYT - Richmond - Headlines

Man claims he's held hostage, winds up arrested

By: Angela Beavin Email
By: Angela Beavin Email

A woman's call to 911 landed both her and a man in jail after a bizarre situation at a motel Friday morning.

Police evacuated the Super 8 off exit 90 in Richmond after the call that claimed two men were holding another man hostage. But, that wasn't exactly what police found when they got inside that room.

Police went to the Super 8 expecting to find a man being threatened in his room--essentially being held hostage. But soon, that man--who was playing the victim--wound up arrested.

"We were asked to evacuate our rooms by Richmond Police," says Dionna Madison, a motel guest.

And so was everyone else staying at the Super 8 in Richmond.

"Police came and knocked on the doors," says motel guest Robert Burton, "And told us they had a hostage situation on the second floor."

But that story turned out to not be so true.

Richmond Police got a call from a woman staying at the Super 8. She told police she walked out of her motel room where she was staying with a man named Joshua Callahan and her five-year-old son.

But, when she went to open the door to get back in, it was locked. She told police she could hear Callahan inside yelling, claiming two men were in the room threatening him with knives and trying to stab him. Her son was still in the room as well.

"The five-year-old slept through the whole thing," Maj. Bob Mott with Richmond Police says.

When police showed up they got everyone out of their rooms. Then they got a key to Callahan's room.

"That's when officers made entry, and realized that this was all false," Mott says.

No sign of intruders in the room and no sign of a hostage situation; only Callahan.

"He had a knife in the room, and he also had drugs and drug paraphernalia in the room, too." Mott says.

Police arrested Callahan, who they say was under the influence of drugs. Hotel guests returned to their rooms, a bit shaken up by it all.

"There was a lot of commotion," Madison says.

Miranda Northern, the mother of the five-year-old who called police doesn't face any charges for the situation at Super 8. Police did however arrest her on outstanding warrants in Estill County.

Police charged Callahan with wanton endangerment, endangering the welfare of a minor, possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia, and criminal mischief.

Officers told NEWSFIRST Friday morning the five-year-old boy was in the care of relatives.

Disqus has not been setup for this website.
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138633889 - wkyt.com/a?a=138633889
Gray Television, Inc.