WKYT - Richmond - Headlines

Testimony from police reveals new details about deadly double shooting

By: Melissa Etezadi Email
By: Melissa Etezadi Email

Police shared new details on Wednesday about their investigation into a deadly double shooting.

The shooting happened on November 21 at an apartment on Chestnut Street in Berea.

Zach Flower, an aspiring hip hop artist, was killed.

His friend, Kevin Price, was injured.

Matthew Denholm faces murder and attempted murder charges in the shooting.

His brother, Ryan Denholm, and another woman, Sherry Bratten, face complicity to murder and attempted murder in the case.

A Berea Police Detective took the stand during Wednesday's preliminary hearing to discuss what led up to the shooting.

He told the court Matt Denholm and Randall Burgess were at the apartment when they got into an altercation with two men.

During the altercation, police say Zachary Flower, Marcus Leslie and Kevin Price confronted Denholm and Burgess, telling them to leave the two men alone.

He says this confrontation turned into a full blown fight.

The stories between all four suspects vary but, police say, they believe Matt Denholm went back to apartment around 3:00 a.m. on November 21 to case it.

Police say sometime between then and the shooting, Ryan Denholm brought Matthew Denholm a shotgun. Police say it was the gun police used to kill Flower and injure Price.

They say the brothers walked up to the apartment where Flower, Leslie and Price lived and shot through the door before kicking it in.

Police say that's when Kevin Price, who was armed with a gun, ran from his room. They say he did not use the gun and was shot before it made it to Flowers' room.

He eventually made it into the room where, police say, Price told them he saw Matthew Denholm shoot Flower in the chest, execution style.

Police say Leslie and Matthew Denholm exchanged gunfire before Denholm left. Leslie was not injured.

Investigators told the court they believe Sherry Bratten was in the getaway car and was with Ryan Denholm when they dropped off the shotgun used in the shooting.

Police say Burgess gave Matthew Denholm the car he used to go to Louisville.

Investigators in Louisville arrested Denholm a few hours following the shooting.

Family members of both the victims and the suspects were in court for Wednesday's hearing.

The case was waived to a grand jury.

Disqus has not been setup for this website.
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 135618468 - wkyt.com/a?a=135618468
Gray Television, Inc.