The Lexington Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure® has awarded over $300,000 grant to twelve Kentucky based organizations funding lifesaving, screening patient navigation, treatment support and treatment programs. Since the Affiliate’s inception in 1996, Komen Lexington has helped fund over $4.5 million for local programs, funding potentially lifesaving services for the underserved and the uninsured men and women. Komen Lexington raises money locally to help the local people. 75% of net funds raised stay in the community to invest in programs to support the local mission work, 25% is then invested into research to find the cure for breast cancer.
“Komen Lexington is extremely proud to provide these local organizations with funding for their programs,” said Jennifer Bricking, Executive Director for Komen Lexington. “Each one of these programs helps close the disparity gaps and provides access to quality care for men and women with the greatest need in our 58 counties across Central and Eastern Kentucky.”
Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, and the Lexington Affiliate is one of 118 Affiliates on the front lines dedicated to ending breast cancer in their communities. Komen Affiliates fund innovative programs that help women and men overcome the cultural, social, educational and financial barriers to breast cancer screening and treatment.
A big portion of the Lexington Affiliates funding will be geared toward outpatient services along with patient navigation. Patient navigation is defined as a service that provides breast health education and guidance to patients, families and caregivers to make informed decisions while collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team to ensure timely breast cancer screening, diagnostics, treatment, and supportive care. It ensures that no person is lost in the healthcare system and it is only one way Komen Lexington is addressing the alarming mortality disparities facing Kentucky’s men and women.
The organizations receiving one-year grants from Komen Lexington are as follows: Kentucky Pink Connection, Clark County Health Department, Saint Joseph Breast Center, Dayspring Family Health Center, King’s Daughters Medical Center, Our Lady of Bellefonte Hospital, Madison County Health Department, Marcum and Wallace Memorial Hospital, St. Elizabeth Healthcare, St. Claire Regional Medical Hospital, Laurel County Health Department, Blessed Beyond Measure.
About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Lexington Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Lexington Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Lexington Race for the Cure, the Lexington Affiliate has invested $1.5 million in community breast cancer programs in 58 counties. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in the Lexington area. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 859.368.7133 or visit www.komenlexington.org
|Report problems like potholes, broken street lights, or vandalism in Versailles.|