Firefighters had to rescue several people Wednesday morning from a fire at a central Kentucky apartment building.
Firefighters were called to the Hillcrest Manor apartments on Oxford Drive in Winchester around 8 a.m.
The fire started on the first floor of the building, in Michael Estes' apartment.
"I woke up, took a shower, laid back down, heard the alarm go off, and I came out, and the whole wall was on fire," Estes said.
Estes said he then woke up his girlfriend, and pulled the fire alarm. The two of them then alerted their neighbors of the fire.
"We ran out immediately and banged on everybody else's door, got them out," Monica Spicer, Estes' girlfriend, said.
However, several people couldn't get down from the second floor to safety.
"We had a report, while we were en route, of people trapped upstairs," Chief Eric Hunter of the Winchester Fire Department said. "We placed ground ladders up to the windows and brought them over the tops of the ladders from the second floor."
Estes' apartment was destroyed. The building has eight separate units inside. Several of those suffered damage.
Estes believes the fire was electrical, and likely started in a wall.
"We've been having electrical problems since I moved in here," Estes said. "Just plugs not working, sometimes working, sparking."
Estes says it will be tough moving on.
"It's all my grandmother's stuff, most of it," Estes said of what he lost in the fire. "Just start over."
Spicer's cat did not survive the fire.
The fire chief says pets also lived in other apartment units in the building. Not all of those pets have been accounted for.
The Red Cross has been to the apartment building making sure those forced from their homes are getting help.
Two people were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. No one else was hurt.
A couple of firefighters were also checked out as a precaution after battling the fire.
|Report problems like potholes, broken street lights, or vandalism in Winchester.|