WKYT - Winchester - Headlines

Space heater may have sparked fire

Firefighters say there wasn't much left when they got there. "Yeah, it's a total loss", said Ernest Barnes with the Clark County Fire Department. "It was pretty much on the ground when we got here."

The man inside the home on Jackson Ferry Road, south of Winchester, did make it out in time. Rescue crews took Mark Kidd to the hospital with minor injuries.

"There was an ash that fell on him and it woke him up", said neighbor Frankie Townsend. "He came over here, and he was in his bare feet and didn't even have a shirt on. He wanted us to call 911."

Townsend says her neighbor said he thought the fire started near his space heater. "When he woke up there was a glow in the back part of his house, and he thought that might have been it."

Fire officials say space heaters are a common cause of fires in the winter. "This time of year it's a cold night, bad conditions, I think he might have had a space heater going. A lot of these fires are heat related", said Barnes.

Barnes says there are steps that can be taken to make sure your home is safe while using space heaters. "Just keep them away from everything, everything combustible. Keep an eye on them. Have your heating supply checked out."

Making sure chimneys are clear and installing smoke detectors in every room is also recommended.


Disqus has not been setup for this website.
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 137269233 - wkyt.com/a?a=137269233
Gray Television, Inc.