A Winchester woman is being considered a hero, after she was able to get her two children out of their burning home overnight. It happened on Elm Street in Winchester.
She says she went to investigate a noise coming from the kitchen, and found flames shooting from the walls.
The fire broke out around 2:30 Friday morning. The woman who lives there, Angela Day, was awake, but her two children were asleep.
She says she heard a crackling noise coming from the kitchen, and when she went to check it out, she saw flames coming from the walls. She quickly got her kids out of the home. But the fire left behind a good deal of damage.
"The ceilings were down in the kitchen; holes in the ceilings in the living room; doors on the floor--just all kind of debris and stuff on the floor," says Billy Brinegar, who works for R&S Rental Properties, which owns the home.
He says this house is likely a total loss. Investigators determined the fire started in a closet off of the kitchen. That's where the water heater is.
"It's always a tragedy, I just hope they have a place to go, with it getting close to the holidays and all," Brinegar says.
He says the rental company will also help the family find a new home.
Day says they were able to salvage some electronics, but nearly everything else in the house was either damaged by fire or smoke.
|Report problems like potholes, broken street lights, or vandalism in Winchester.|