UPDATE: Suspect in deadly Louisville shooting in custody

Tents and overnight stays are now prohibited at Jefferson Square Park after the deadly shooting
The park was cleared by police officers following the shooting that happened around 9 p.m....
The park was cleared by police officers following the shooting that happened around 9 p.m. Saturday, according to Louisville Metro Police Department spokesman Lamont Washington. (Source: WAVE 3 News)(WAVE 3 News)
Published: Jun. 28, 2020 at 11:31 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WKYT/WAVE) – A man who died after he was shot in Jefferson Square Park on Saturday night has been identified.

Tyler Charles Gerth, 27, was pronounced dead in the park shortly after 9 p.m. Saturday, according to the Jefferson County Coroner’s Office.

According to the Courier-Journal, Gerth was a University of Kentucky graduate, and a budding photographer. The newspaper says Gerth was active in protests against police brutality in the city.

WAVE 3 News has learned the suspect’s name is Steven Nelson Lopez. He’s been in police custody since the shooting occurred Saturday around 9 p.m. He’s been charged with one count of murder and one count of wanton endangerment first degree.

Lopez, who had been camping at Jefferson Square had been asked to leave earlier in the day by other protesters for his “disruptive behavior” Mayor Greg Fischer said during a press conference Sunday afternoon.

Officials say Lopez was seen shooting a firearm into a large crowd of people at the park. They say bystanders returned fire in self-defense. Lopez received a gunshot wound to the leg during the crossfire.

Protesters at Jefferson Square Park in downtown Louisville will now no longer be allowed to camp in the park overnight.

WAVE 3 News reports that Lopez had been arrested twice, back to back, in the last two weeks.

On June 17th Lopez was arrested for inciting a riot, disorderly conduct, harassment and buying/possessing drug paraphernalia. Records show Lopez was arrested yet again on June 19th for unlawful assembly and disorderly conduct.

According to sister-station WAVE3 News, Louisville Metro Police cleared the park around 9 p.m. Saturday night after the shooting.

On Sunday, an LMPD spokesperson said peaceful protests could continue during the day, but that tents and overnight stays would no longer be permitted.

The LMPD Homicide Unit is continuing to investigate the shooting.

State Representative and Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate, Charles Booker, issued a statement Sunday morning on the shooting.

“This death was preventable, as was Breonna’s and David’s, and George’s, and so on. While we pray for the life lost and those injured, and all of the families affected by this shooting, may we resolve like never before to come together and lead toward justice and healing.”

Kentucky State Rep. Charles Booker

Booker’s statement also asked for accountability with civic leaders and said the best way to move forward is to allow the community to provide input on their concerns.

Copyright 2020 WKYT. All rights reserved.