Advertisement

Gov. Beshear recommends schools wait until Sept. 28 for in-person classes; announces new bar and restaurant guidelines

Published: Aug. 10, 2020 at 3:40 PM EDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

FRANKFORT, Ky. (WKYT) - Governor Andy Beshear provided an update for Kentuckians on COVID-19 in the state.

The governor began his news conference by recommending no in-person classes for schools until September 28.

He also announced new steps for bars and restaurants. Both are to reopen at 50 percent capacity starting Tuesday, August 11. There are still some guidelines: still have to social distance, all customers must be seated, no congregating at bars, all food and drink service needs to stop by 10 p.m., both bars and restaurants need to close by 11 p.m. and all staff and customers must wear masks.

Gov. Beshear reported 275 new COVID-19 cases on Monday and two deaths, although he says that number is lower than it should be due to an IT problem. He says the numbers will be fixed on Tuesday, but to expect lower numbers earlier in the week because of the glitch.

Among the new cases Monday are 13 children under the age of five, the governor says.

There are now at least 35,254 total cases of COVID-19 in Kentucky and at least 775 total deaths. The governor says the state is seeing a 5.17 percent positivity rate.

Copyright 2020 WKYT. All rights reserved.

Latest News

Latest News