Keeneland’s 2020 Fall Meet will be closed to public
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Keeneland’s 2020 Fall Meet will be closed to the public.
The announcement was made on Facebook Tuesday morning:
Only a limited number of participants and essential personnel will be permitted to attend the live race meet.
Keeneland conducted its five-day Summer Meet in July without spectators but did allow a limited number of owners and essential personnel to attend.
“The safety of our employees, our participants and our fans remains Keeneland’s top priority,” Keeneland President and CEO Bill Thomason said. “We have the most loyal fans in the world and we cannot wait for the day when we can welcome them back for live racing. The decision to close the meet to the public was made after consulting with local and state government officials and public health experts and monitoring how various sporting venues and events around the world have operated during the pandemic. With the guidance of these experts and lessons learned from recent events, we know this is the responsible course of action.”
The following health and safety protocols will be required for participants and employees while they are at Keeneland:
- Individuals permitted to come onto the Keeneland grounds will be credentialed or ticketed in advance. Seating will be assigned and properly social distanced on race days.
- Participants include those with a competing horse, including a limited number of owners and trainers. Keeneland also will allow limited access to sponsors, box holders and Club members.
- Keeneland will not permit any general admission or walk-up attendees. Credentialed participants will be assigned a seat for the race day.
- Keeneland will maintain records to allow for contact tracing.
- Health screenings, including a series of questions and temperature checks, will continue at all entrance gates.
- All individuals must wear a face mask and maintain proper social distancing while at Keeneland.
The 2020 Fall Meet will be held Oct. 2-24.
Copyright 2020 WKYT. All rights reserved.