Brett Hankison booked into jail, released
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WAVE) - Former LMPD Det. Brett Hankison was booked and released from jail Wednesday after he was indicted in the Breonna Taylor case, WAVE 3 News Troubleshooters have learned.
Hankison arrived at the Shelby County Detention Center and was released around 5 p.m., the jail confirmed.
Hankison was charged with three counts of wanton endangerment in the first degree in the case, and received a $15,000 bond. Each charge carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison.
The charges were related to Hankison’s firing 10 shots “blindly” into Taylor’s apartment during the March 13 raid on her home. Some of those shots went into adjacent apartments.
His attorney, Stew Matthews, told WAVE sister station WXIX in Cincinnati that they intend to plead not guilty during arraignment,
“I don’t think the evidence will support the charge,” Matthews said.
WAVE 3 News is working to find out when Hankinson will be arraigned.
- UK students feel connected to Breonna Taylor case
- Mayor Gorton urges calm about Breonna Taylor decision; downtown city offices, businesses close early
- The timeline of the Breonna Taylor case
- Downtown Louisville employees told to work from home indefinitely
- Lexington pastor calls for peace ahead of Breonna Taylor announcement
- Louisville mayor declares state of emergency, bans on-street parking ahead of Breonna Taylor announcement
- Jon Mattingly: Officer involved in Breonna Taylor shooting sends candid email to LMPD colleagues
- Restrictions in place in downtown Louisville in anticipation of announcement in Breonna Taylor case
- Breonna Taylor’s family settles with City of Louisville for $12 million, significant police reform
Copyright 2020 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.