Life in prison for driver who killed couple in NKY police chase

Mason Meyer
Mason Meyer(Hamilton County)
Published: Nov. 23, 2021 at 5:07 AM EST|Updated: Nov. 23, 2021 at 10:44 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

CAMPBELL COUNTY, Ky. (WXIX) -The driver who pleaded guilty to two counts of murder in connection with a deadly police chase from Cincinnati to Newport will spend the rest of his life in prison.

Campbell County Circuit Court Judge Dan Zella told Mason Meyer, 28, his conduct was “unconscionable” and “repulsive.”

Cincinnati police released body camera footage showing that Meyer led the chase on Aug. 7 2020 for 14-minutes. The pursuit started in Lower Price Hill, went through other parts of Cincinnati, and ended in Newport, KY.

Officers say that it ended when Meyer crashed into the patio of Press on Monmouth in Newport, killing Gayle and Raymond Laible. Gayle, 80, died at the scene. Raymond, 81, died on the way to the hospital.

Gayle and Raymond Laible
Gayle and Raymond Laible(Provided)

Two others, Steven and Maribeth Klein, were seriously injured.

Maribeth spoke to the court Tuesday, saying in the moments of the crash she feared she was going to die.

Steven also spoke and he had a message for Meyer.

“My 10-year-old and 17-year-old sons are more of a man than you [Meyer] ever will be,” Steven said. “You’re exactly where you should be and I hope you spend the rest of your life behind bars. Enjoy your stay.”

According to a federal indictment, Meyer was being chased in connection with drug and weapons activity in Newport.

Meyer and his passenger, Kirsten Johnson, had 50 grams or more of methamphetamine, two loaded handguns, and a loaded rifle with them during the chase, the indictment says.

When police tried to arrest Meyer, he took off, and the chase ended in the fatal crash.

Family members of the victims filed a lawsuit in August against the City of Cincinnati and three of its officers for not breaking off the chase.

The family members say they intend to continue pursuing the lawsuit.

In exchange for Meyer pleading guilty, the Commonwealth Attorney’s Office agreed to dismiss the charges of enhancement to trafficking in a controlled substance, two other wanton endangerment charges and a charge of a persistent felony offender.

He will be eligible for parole in 20 years.

See a spelling or grammar error in our story? Please include the title when you click here to report it.

Copyright 2021 WXIX. All rights reserved.