Advertisement

Victim has ‘extreme’ burns after Winchester fire

One person is seriously hurt after a fire in Winchester.
Published: Jun. 13, 2022 at 12:20 PM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WINCHESTER, Ky. (WKYT) - One person is seriously hurt after a fire in Winchester.

Fire officials say crews were called to a home on West Hickman Street just before 11 a.m. Monday. They said eight people were living inside the home. One of those eight people was taken to the hospital with “extreme” burns.

One of the people who lived there, James Todd, said he was at work when the fire started but came home as soon as he got the call.

“Something happened, they were sleeping upstairs and it caught fire in their room, and my girlfriend was in the room next door,” Todd said.

He said by the time help came, the second flood was already gutted. Firefighters said Monday’s temperatures were an added challenge.

“Well fires are always difficult to work, but the temperatures, and elements, make it somewhat challenging, but as with anything, firemen overcome,” Winchester Fire Chief Chris Whiteley said.

They were able to contain the fire and get everyone else out safely.

“It was very scary, everyone was very scared,” Todd said.

Firefighters don’t know the specific events that led to the fire. However, the fire marshal says investigators believe the fire was likely caused by an overloaded extension cord in the house.

Firefighters say a window air conditioning unit was plugged into an extension cord, which may have started the fire.  The fire marshal says window air conditioning units must be plugged directly into a wall outlet, and never into an extension cord or power strip.

Get the WKYT News app on ROKU, Apple TV and Amazon Fire.
Get the WKYT News app on ROKU, Apple TV and Amazon Fire.(WKYT)

Copyright 2022 WKYT. All rights reserved.