Man hospitalized after being shocked while working on Lexington roof

Officials say that the man was performing HVAC work on the roof of Monkey Joe’s when he was electrocuted.
Published: Jul. 1, 2022 at 8:00 AM EDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - The Fire Department was dispatched to Monkey Joe’s on Bryant Road in Lexington, where an adult male was suffering life-threatening injuries from a possible electrocution.

Officials say that the man was performing HVAC work on the roof of Monkey Joe’s when he was electrocuted. An employee told us that there was no one inside of the building at the time. They also told us that everything inside of Monkey Joe’s is working as normal.

Fire officials also said that storms were rolling in at about the same time they arrived on the scene just before 7:00 AM. They were unsure if the shock was from the electrical on the roof or from the weather.

Two firefighters were able to access the victim on the roof, but two other firefighters were injured while attempting to follow them up to the roof.

“One of the firemen slipped on the steel ladder…fell about fifteen feet inside the cage, knocked the other fireman who was just starting up the ladder off. He fell to the ground,” said Battalion Chief Chris Ward.

The victim was taken to UK hospital along with those two firefighters who suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Get the WKYT News app on ROKU, Apple TV and Amazon Fire.
Get the WKYT News app on ROKU, Apple TV and Amazon Fire.(WKYT)

Copyright 2022 WKYT. All rights reserved.