10 facts about Jif peanut butter on #NationalPeanutButterLoversDay
Published: Mar. 1, 2018 at 10:41 AM EST
Jif peanut butter is a staple of Lexington, so here are some facts about the popular brand.
These facts are from the J.M. Smucker Company, which is the parent company of Jif.
- The Lexington, Kentucky Jif plant is the largest peanut butter producing facility in the world.
- The peanut is not a nut. It is a legume and a member of the pea family.
- You can harvest 2,861 pounds of peanuts from one acre of peanut plants.
- People eat on average seven pounds of peanuts and peanut products annually.
- Peanut butter was first introduced at the 1904 World's Fair.
- Jif introduced creamy peanut butter in 1974.
- Jif was chosen as the product name because it is easy to say, spell and remember.
- 1 in 10 peanuts grown in the U.S. for food use ends up in Jif peanut butter.
- There are more than 1,200 peanuts in a 28 ounce jar of Jif peanut butter.
- Americans consume 270 million pounds of Jif annually.