LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - The Community Action Council is looking for donations for it's annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service project, "Fostering Love Through Backpacks of Love."
The group is collecting personal care items to fill up backpacks, that will then go to veterans and the homeless. This year, the council is also broadening it's mission for the first time, to include area foster children.
"The Martin Luther King holiday has always been a day that we here at the council try to do some volunteer work, so instead of a day off for us, it's a day on," Cameron Minter of the Community Action Council said.
Possible donation items include:
- Personal hygiene items (new, trial size) such as soap, shampoo/ conditioner, deodorant, toothbrushes and toothpaste, lotion, shaving cream and razors.
- Socks (adult/ children)
- Backpacks/ Drawstring bags (new or gently used)
- Hats/ Scarves/ Gloves (adult/ children)
- Small blankets
- Pajama's (newborn to 8/9 and size 10 - Adult XL)
- Stuffed animals (small)
- Coloring books/ crayons, journals/ pens/ pencils.
- Financial contributions are also accepted.
Volunteers will be filling the backpacks on Saturday, January 13, from 10 a.m. to 12 p.. at the Charles Young Community Center at 540 E. Third St. in Lexington.
Before then, Items can be dropped off at all of the Council locations anytime Monday - Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Drop-off points are located at:
913 Georgetown St.
1902 Cambridge Dr.
1169 Winburn Dr.
520 Toner St.