I-75 in Rockcastle County reopens following deadly crash

By  | 

MOUNT VERNON, Ky. (WKYT) - All lanes of Interstate 75 in Rockcastle county are back open after a person was killed in a fiery RV crash Wednesday.

It happened around 1 a.m. in the southbound lanes near the KY-1505 overpass in the Conway community.

Kentucky State Police are investigating the crash.

Police say John McCoy, 67, of Chesapeake, Ohio, drove an RV through a barricade near Berea, and into a work zone.

State police followed the vehicle and attempted a rolling roadblock, but say McCoy did not stop, intentionally hitting a police vehicle.

Police say McCoy continued to travel south towards KY 1505 until crashing into two cranes causing the RV to burst into flames.

Officers tried to remove McCoy from the RV but were unable because of the fire. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

"As they ran up to the RV to try to get the operator out of the vehicle, he rammed a police vehicle and continued traveling south to where the interstate was blocked by the heavy equipment," said Trooper Lloyd Cochran with Kentucky State Police.

An autopsy has been scheduled for Thursday.

The southbound lanes and one northbound lane were scheduled to be closed from 10 p.m. Tuesday until 6 a.m. Wednesday for construction of a new bridge.

Amber Hale with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet says crews were about to set a fourth and final beam for the new bridge when the crash happened.

Equipment needed to set the beams was damaged in the crash, according to Hale. She says work on the new bridge is now on hold.

She says crews plan to have rolling roadblocks beginning at 10 a.m. on Thursday and continuing throughout the day until crews can properly access or fix the damage.

No officers or construction workers were injured in the incident.

Structural engineers will be inspecting the three beams that were set before the crash happened.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus