Explosion causes fire at Campbellsville University

By  | 

CAMPBELLSVILLE, Ky. (WKYT) - An explosion caused a fire at Campbellsville University.

Credit: WLCU-TV, Sara-Cate Pedigo

Officials say around 1 p.m. Wednesday, a water heater exploded in H&W Field House, which houses locker rooms for the university's softball and soccer programs.

Members of the fire department arrived at the scene in less than a minute because it is located close to the building. Firefighters were able to knock down the fire in about 30 minutes.

Three people were in the building at the time - all of them made it out unharmed.

"They tried to extinguish the fire with a some fire extinguishers. Got it knocked down just a little bit. After that it was too much," said Campbellsville Fire Chief Chris Taylor.

The building that burned was more than 50-years old. The fire heavily damaged the building.

"It is a building that gets used a lot," said Otto Tennant, who is the Vice President for Finance & Administration. "This is a big loss for us, here. We have to figure out what we are going to do. To rebuild, or tear down and start anew.'


Taken by Joshua Williams
Taken by Joshua Williams
Taken by Joshua Williams
Taken by Joshua Williams


 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus