LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Lexington fire crews say a father and son are safe after a house fire Wednesday morning.
It happened just after 2 a.m. on Planters Court near Man O' War and Harrodsburg road.
The fire chief says crews think there was a smoldering fire in the fireplace when the father and son went to bed. He says smoke alarms are to thank for keeping them safe.
Officials say sometime after two the father woke up to the smoke alarms going off. When he walked downstairs, he saw smoke filling the bottom floor. That's when he ran upstairs, woke his son and called 911.
Firefighters say they were able to contain the fire to one side of the house.
The fire chief says they've received several similar calls this winter.