Father's plea brings court to tears during sentencing in Lexington murder case

Published: Nov. 7, 2017 at 10:43 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A judge on Tuesday held a formal sentencing hearing for Trey Relford. Relford pleaded guilty last month to his role in the murder of Salahuddin Jitmoud.

On April 19, 2015, Jitmoud delivered a pizza to the Walnut Hill Apartment complex on Trent Circle Road. Someone stabbed Jitmoud to death and robbed him. Investigators found the 22-year-old lying in a breezeway of an apartment complex.

Lexington Police arrested three people for the crimes. A grand jury chose only to indict Relford for murder, tampering with evidence and robbery.

On October 26, Relford pleaded guilty to complicity to murder, complicity to robbery, and attempted evidence tampering.

Jitmoud's family spoke in court on Tuesday during Relford's sentencing. Dr. Sombat Jitmoud described his son as gentle, generous, and shy. His father told the courtroom on the night his son died, he had "one more delivery" to make before coming home. Dr. Jitmoud spoke to Relford saying he did not blame him for his son's death, and that he forgave him on behalf of his son.

"I'm angry at the devil who misguided you to do such a crime."

Before he left the stand, Dr. Jitmoud made one last plea to Relford to let police know who cut his son's throat. It was a request that led to an emotional moment in court for the judge, who called for a recess.

When the proceeding resumed, Relford's mother took the stand. She told the court her son "had a wonderful childhood, but something went astray."

Relford's parents believe their son started using drugs around the 10th grade, and that they were unsuccessful getting him help.

Relford's mother spoke to Dr. Jitmoud saying, "I take total, full responsibility for the loss of your beautiful son." She also said, "I am deeply sorry for your loss. I am shocked at your forgiveness."

Relford himself stood up in court and addressed the victim's family. His message ended with Relford and his family embracing Dr. Jitmoud and his family.

In the end, the judge sentenced Relford to 31-years in prison.