Eric C. Conn back in Kentucky after being captured in Honduras

By  | 

TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras, (WKYT) - Fugitive attorney Eric C. Conn is in federal custody after being captured by authorities in the city of La Ceiba in Honduras.

During a news conference on Tuesday, the FBI said the Technical Agency for Criminal Investigation (ATIC) caught Conn without incident at a Pizza Hut on Saturday. One report indicated authorities were alerted to his position in the restaurant when he turned on his wifi.

His arrest came precisely six months after he went on the run. Conn disappeared on June 2 after a hearing in Lexington. Police found his ankle monitor in a backpack on the side of I-75 in Fayette County. Authorities later got surveillance video showing Conn in New Mexico. The FBI offered a reward for information on his whereabouts.

“We reviewed emails and social media posts purportedly originating from Mr. Conn. We conducted analysis of his finances and seized bank accounts. We conducted physical surveillance. We searched his former law office, vehicle and the residence of his mother in Stanville, Kentucky,” Special Agent in Charge Amy Hess said.

Six months later, agents say they are happy Conn is coming back to the U.S. to face justice.

"As promised Mr. Conn will now be held accountable for his actions, the people he deceived and the lives he shattered, including all the victims of his greed in eastern Kentucky," Hess said.

Back in March, Conn admitted to cheating the federal government out of more than $550 million. The government says it is the largest social security fraud case in the program's history. Conn was scheduled to testify against one of his co-conspirators just days after he went on the run.

"Despite his best efforts to escape justice, Mr. Conn will ultimately be held accountable for his actions," said Mike McGill. McGill works for the Social Security Administration.

A judge has already sentenced Conn to 12-years in prison and ordered to pay more than $100 million in restitution. He will likely face additional charges for escape.

Conn arrived around 7:15 p.m. on Tuesday at Blue Grass Airport.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus