Harrison Co. family of five loses everything in house fire

Published: Dec. 18, 2017 at 10:27 PM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

On Sunday, a Harrison County family of five lost everything in a house fire.

The fire happened around 2 p.m. at the home on Salem Pike in Cynthiana.

The family was at church at the time when they got the call no family wants to hear.

"Need to come home. The house was on fire," said Anthony Blackwell.

Blackwell, his wife, and three small children lived at the home for more than five years. Two dozen firefighters tried their best to battle the blaze, but the home was destroyed.

"Everything can be replaced, but us. So, we will get everything else," Blackwell said.

The community has stepped up to help the family. They are collecting donations at Harrison County Fire Station 1 in Cynthiana.

They family says they've already received donations of large appliances. Now, they need small appliances (microwave, coffee maker, etc.) to help with everyday life.

In addition, Blackwell said he lost his laptop in the fire - something that is very important to his work.

"All my paperwork, all my contracts were done through the computer," he said.

Blackwell runs a business called

, which is named after his son whose hands do not work. He said his business helps families create custom sensory rooms that are handicap accessible.

"We figured out how hard it was to get stuff for him, so we decided we should help other people," Blackwell said.

The family will be staying with friends for a few days before hopefully moving to a new home.

If you would like to donate to the family, you can drop off items at the fire station located at 1014 US-62, Cynthiana, KY 41031.

On Tuesday, Blackwell tells WKYT a woman who did not want to be identified took him to buy a new laptop. Another good Samaritan helped buy him some new tires for his vehicle.