Man charged with sending email threat to Islamic Center of Lexington

By  | 

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Police have charged a 31-year-old man with sending an email threat to the Islamic Center of Lexington last month.

Anthony Catapano was charged Monday with third-degree terroristic threatening, according to a release from Lexington police.

Imam Mahmoud Shalash told WKYT they received the threat before noon Nov. 27. The email said: "I'm going to kill everyone I [sic] there you Muslim f**ks. Salabis is coming for you."

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the nation's largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization, called on state and federal law enforcement authorities to step up protection for the Kentucky mosque at South Limestone. Lexington police took the report that afternoon and it also was reported to federal Homeland Security.

Shalash told WKYT's Garrett Wymer that only about half as many people have come to pray at the center since the threat. He hopes that will change now that the suspect has been charged.

"We always pray to Allah that he will protect us and keep us safe. And keep every human being safe," Shalash said. "We pray for the whole of humanity."



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus