HARRODSBURG, Ky. (WKYT) – A man was airlifted to the hospital after being severely burned at a Mercer County home.
Firefighters say the man was burned by a furnace. (Photo: WKYT)
The incident happened just after 12 p.m. at a home on Providence Road.
Firefighters tell WKYT the man was lighting the pilot of the furnace when it exploded.
The victim was able to call 911 himself but was severely burned from the waist up.
Law enforcement, EMS, and several fire departments responded to the fire that happened in the basement of the home. They say it's not unusual to get these types of calls when people light their furnaces for the first time each fall.
"If it's something you do on a regular basis, and you are comfortable with it, that would be one thing," says Mercer County Sheriff Ernie Kelty. "I always know I always call my heating and air man to take care of those issues for me."
After stabilizing the victim, he was loaded onto a helicopter and airlifted to University of Louisville Hospital.
Police say it's too early to tell what his condition will be.