Arrest made in disappearance of Kentucky couple

Published: Jul. 8, 2016 at 5:27 AM EDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Kentucky State Police say they have charged a man in connection to the disappearance of a northern Kentucky couple.

Craig Pennington is in the Marion County Detention Center charged with two counts of murder. A family member tells us that Pennington rented the home where the couple was last seen.

Robert Jones, 38, and Crystal Warner, 35, were last seen leaving the home they rented to Pennington on Texas Road in Springfield on Sunday, July 3.

The families of Crystal Warner and Robert Jones say witnesses at the property told KSP they saw Pennington shoot and kill the couple and then take their bodies.

State Police say they do have evidence that the couple is deceased, but their bodies have not been recovered.

"Bob and Crystal were the best people on this earth," said Jennifer Fine, Jones' sister-in-law. "The scenarios that have been running through our head have been absolute torment fearing that this is what happened and several of us have had this gut wrenching feeling that this is what has happened."

The arrest comes hours after Kentucky State Police found Warner's car near a Georgetown gas station Friday morning.

"We continued to pray and we had hoped that maybe they just had them tied up in the basement and that we were going to find them," Fine said.

KSP says the couple from Florence was driving a Gray 2012 Volkswagen Passat with Kentucky license plate 9485-FS when they disappeared. Police found the Passat in a gravel lot off the 125 exit in Georgetown on Friday morning.

KSP searched a 40-acre field where the Volkswagen was located. They said the couple was not in the car, but did not elaborate on what, if anything, they found.

Jones's family tells WKYT that he and Warner had gone to a home they own on Texas Road to check on it. According to the family, Jones had recently evicted a couple living in the home. They went to make sure the renters had left. The family says that is the last place Warner's cell phone showed any activity.