Smoke alarms save Richmond family from fire
Published: Jan. 18, 2018 at 11:57 AM EST
A Richmond family is safe after an apartment fire.
The fire started Thursday morning at an apartment on South Killarney Drive, just off the Eastern Bypass.
Photos from the scene show heavy smoke pouring from the building.
According to the man who lives in the apartment, the fire may have started in a HVAC unit on the second floor.
Firefighters say working smoke alarms alerted the family to the fire, and everyone made it out safely, unfortunately, they lost a family dog in the fire.
The family of five that lives in the apartment tells us they lost much of what they own in the fire, and are trying to salvage some belongings.