Juvenile detention employee placed on leave after investigation into teen's death

From Justice for Gynnya McMillen Facebook Page
From Justice for Gynnya McMillen Facebook Page(WKYT)
Published: Jan. 27, 2016 at 9:57 AM EST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

An employee from the Lincoln Village Juvenile Detention Center has been placed on paid leave following an internal review into the death of a Shelbyville teenager.

Department of Corrections Spokeswoman Lisa Lamb released a statement Wednesday afternoon, saying the "Department of Juvenile Justice is reviewing video and personnel conduct to ensure policies and procedures were followed."

The statement says the youth, who has been identified by friends and family as Gynnya McMillen, was under "constant supervision through video surveillance of her room throughout the night and morning hours" of Jan. 11, the day she died. Gynnya, 16, was found dead a day after being admitted to the juvenile detention center.

The Department of Juvenile Justice said in a news release that the teenager died while sleeping. The Kentucky State Medical Examiner is waiting for toxicology, electrolyte analysis and histology report results to determine a cause of death.

Lamb's statement says the video footage was under continuous monitoring by staff in the control room, and Gynnya was being watched by staff throughout the night and morning hours. It also said Gynnya was sleeping and "in no apparent distress."

An internal review by the Department of Juvenile Justice determined that an employee failed to make "all of the 15-minute visual bed checks required by policy." The employee, who was not identified, has been placed on "special investigative leave with pay."

"Any further disciplinary action will depend on the outcome of internal reviews or the findings of any of the external investigations," the statement said.

Director of communications and program services for the Kentucky Department of Juvenile Justice Stacy Floden says a copy of the footage has been provided to Kentucky State Police and the Justice Cabinet Office of Investigations.