LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Kentucky linebacker Josh Allen is a semifinalist for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy and the Walter Camp Player of the Year, the school announced on Wednesday.
Allen leads the SEC and ranks third nationally with 11.0 sacks and leads the league with 15.5 tackles for loss. That’s good enough for 15th nationally. He’s second in the country with five forced fumbles.
Other Allen tidbits:
• On verge of UK career records for sacks with 25.5 ... Needs just a half sack (.5) to tie Oliver Barnett as UK's sack leader (26 from 1986-89)
• On verge of UK single-season sacks record with 11.0 … Needs one sack to tie Dennis Johnson (12 in 2001)
• Helped lead UK to (as this was written) its best record in 34 years
• First-Team Mid-Season All-America by The Associated Press, ESPN.com, Pro Football Focus and The Athletic
• Four-time SEC Defensive Player of the Week this season, including two wins he clinched with a sack, fumble, and UK recovery on the final possession
• Current semifinalist for the Bednarik Award (National Defensive Player of the Year) and Butkus Award (National Linebacker of the Year); current quarterfinalist for Lott IMPACT Trophy as National Defensive Player of the Year
• 65 total tackles, five QB hurries, four pass breakups and two fumble recoveries
• Needs 3.5 more sacks to break into the SEC top 10 list for career sacks
• Nine of his 11 sacks have come in the second half, including six in the fourth quarter and three in the third