KSP: Body of missing two-year-old found inside well

Left, Anthony Barbour, 25. Right: Laynee Wallace, 2.
By  | 
View Map

MONROE COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) - Kentucky State Police say the body of two-year-old Laynee Wallace was found Monday afternoon inside of a well.

On May 17, Laynee Wallace, 2, went missing in Monroe County. State police believed her mother's boyfriend, Anthony Barbour, 25, of Summer Shade, was responsible for her disappearance.

Troopers said Barbour lived with the child's mother and her daughter in his home near the Barren County and Monroe County line.

Barbour and the child were reported missing on May 17th but on May 25, at 2:15 p.m., police found the child's body inside of a well on Barbour's property.

"Kentucky State Police located the body of missing 2 year old Laynee Wallace in an area in close proximity to where she was originally reported missing," according to a press release.

For more than a week, people wondered where two-year-old Laynee went and if her mother's boyfriend was responsible for her disappearance.

"That's all that people had on their minds the past few days," said Casey Harvey, who lives near the area where the two went missing.

Barbour and Laynee went missing near Barbour's home but on Monday, troopers say Barbour resurfaced in a stranger's home.

"She went down to the little country store and then turned around and went back to her home and that's when Mr. Barbour was in her house," said Casey Harvey. Harvey says Barbour broke into his cousin's home while she was away at the store.

"He [Barbour] had a rifle at that time and asked her to get in the truck and drive her to Glasgow so she started down the road."

Casey Harvey says he watched everything unfold when troopers pulled his cousin and Barbour over for a seat belt violation. "I just happened to be looking out of the window when Kentucky State Police jumped out of their car, ran over to the truck, opened the door and jerked a guy out. They wrestled him to the ground and handcuffed him."

Barbour was arrested on May 25 at 1:16 p.m. during a traffic stop at the Temple Hill Volunteer Fire Department.

Barbour was later taken to the scene of the search for Laynee's body. Troopers say the two-year-old's body was found in a well not far from where she was first reported missing.

Police say the property where the two-year old was found belongs to the Barbour family. An autopsy will be performed to determine the child's cause of death.

WKYT has called multiple agencies and so far, Barbour has not been lodged in a Kentucky jail. At last check, Barbour's charges are also unknown.

It is unclear if Barbour has a lawyer.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus